Monday, August 23, 2010

Bananas for Banana Bread

I heard about chocolate chip banana bread from a friend and decided try out a recipe because I LOVE bananas and chocolate.  I doubled the recipe and brought half to the concert venue this weekend (it was a hit) and froze the other half to bring into school this week.  This recipe was pretty delicious but I added an extra banana to the recipe because I really love a strong banana flavor and used butter flavored shortening because it's what I already had on hand.  I baked it in metal loaf pans and found they browned VERY quickly so I'd recommend tenting them with foil.  I splurged on a stoneware loaf pan yesterday so I'll be curious to see how that affects the breads that I bake.


Katie's Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (adapted from: All Recipes)

Makes 1 loaf

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
3 bananas mashed
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

In a mixing bowl, cream sugar and shortening. Beat in eggs, vanilla and bananas until thoroughly blended. Combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spoon into a greased loaf pan and tent with foil. Bake at 350 degrees F for 60-70 minutes or until the bread tests done with a wooden pick. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. 

1 comment: