Monday, September 13, 2010

Strawberry Freezer Jam

I saw a posting on Not So Humble Pie for jam made in the freezer.  I've always wanted to try making my own jam.  A bit of a strange aspiration I realize, but it's something I've been wanting to do for awhile but was a bit intimidated by the whole canning process.  Freezer jam sounded easy and fool proof so I gave it a whirl with some strawberries that were on sale at my local grocery store.  The end result was a pretty easily crafted but very sweet jam.  I wanted to reduce the sugar but the recipe said altering it could cause issues with consistency.  Sure Jell makes a low sugar pectin that I'll definitely try next time as it reduces the sugar by 1 cup.  I like to use strawberry or raspberry jam in a brownie recipe that I make and think it will be pretty yummy in that recipe.   I did a double batch of the recipe below and filled up 7 of these 2 cup jars.


Sure Jell Freezer Jam
  • 2 cups crushed fresh strawberries
  • 4 cups sugar
  • 1 (1.75 ounce) package dry pectin
  • 3/4 cup water
  1. Mix crushed strawberries with sugar, and let stand for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, stir the pectin into the water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and boil for 1 minute. Stir the boiling water into the strawberries. Allow to stand for 3 minutes before pouring into jars or other storage containers.
  2. Place tops on the containers, and leave for 24 hours. Place into freezer, and store frozen until ready to use. 
  3. Use jam within 30 days of opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment